Trust Yourself

Today is me and my husband’s 6 year wedding anniversary. I’ve been given the gift of time (yay!) to work on a fun project today.

THE STORY BEHIND THE PAGE

My husband and I were at dinner last night, and had some really good conversation. We were talking about our futures (something we do A LOT). He’s got lots of big ideas and plans and after we talked about that, we talked about some of my goals and ideas. I’ve been really into my art lately and I have to tell you…it just feeds my soul!! Nothing would make me happier than to be able to do this full time. As we were discussing that, I was telling him my thoughts and the process I’ve been going through on trying to find my own authentic style of art. I take a lot of classes, read a lot, and study other artist work that I admire. I want to be able to take all of that knowledge and incorporate that into my own style, a much harder thing than I had imagined. I’ve been thinking about that conversation today and when I finished this page, I added a few words as a personal reminder to trust myself. Trust my ability to push through and make my dreams come to pass. Trust myself that I will find my true self through my art and be able recognize it as my own personal expression of who I am. I think all of us, no matter how young or old we are, are always working on defining ourselves. To use art to do this makes me happier than I ever thought! 🙂



WHAT MAKES THIS PAGE SPECIAL

I actually created a stamp myself today. I was inspired by my daughter, Macie, who came home from school last year talking about the stamp she carved in art class. It sounded like so much fun. We bought all of the supplies to do it at home, and they’ve been sitting in a bag all summer. Today was a beautiful day outside, so we took our supplies and some blankets out there, spread everything out and went to work. I created a Snapguide as I went along to describe exactly how this was done. You can view my Snapguide here. I used my stamp over and over with different inks and paints to create the background of this page in my art journal. The only other thing I used was some Dylusions mist, Ranger alcohol ink, and a script roller stamp. I used a little Pan Pastel around the edges for some depth.

I hope everyone has enjoyed their weekend! Thanks for stopping by. If you like this post, please feel free to subscribe on the right sidebar to get the latest posts in your Inbox or Reader. 🙂

Altering a Paintbrush!!

Hi everyone! I wanted to share with you today a post about a paintbrush that I altered for the Donna Downey Altered Paintbrush Project. This was a really fun idea, and I spent several days daydreaming about my paintbrush before I actually decided on exactly what I wanted to do. I tossed several ideas around in my head and on paper, but in the end (as always) I was inspired by my children. My dancer daughter Natalie, in particular. I kept staring at the lines of the brush and suddenly it hit me that the top angle of the handle reminded me of Fifth Position in Ballet. I know this because Natalie is constantly dancing around the house!! So I decided to turn this big fat paintbrush into an elegant dancer.

This is what I had to start out with:


The second phase involved the construction of the tutu. I gathered up a bunch of tulle I had leftover from a tutu wreath I had made for Sophie and some pretty fibers that I’ve had in my stash forever. I used one of the kids old hair ties to make it into a skirt that could be slipped down the handle of the brush, instead of trying to glue all of the pieces to the brush itself.
Here is the skirt:


After the skirt was complete, I went to work painting the brush itself. I used a combination of acrylic paint and acrylic ink for the wood parts and the brush. I used Ranger alcohol ink in Cranberry for the metal part. While the paint was still wet on the bristles I went ahead and dumped some glitter on there. My dancer was slowly morphing into a fairy!! (As a sidenote I should add that I’m not really into using glitter on my projects, but I AM into details and I wanted there to be little hidden design details of the brush that people could look for) I also broke out the old iRock tool and gave her a bit of metallic bling.


Now for the scary part, to paint the body onto the brush. I carefully sketched out the body shape lightly with a pencil, then I mixed up some flesh toned paint and went to work. When the body was painted I went around the shape with a fine tip black marker just to help it stand out a bit. When that was done and dry I realized that she needed a top of some sort. I rummaged through my ribbon stash and found a piece of Prima trim that I had tried to use on several layouts with no success. For this, it was perfect! It even had the rhinestones on it, which I thought gave my girly a bit of glam 🙂 I also added some feathers just for a fun touch. I wanted her dress to be very tactile. I’m one of those people who has to touch everything!!


At this point she was looking pretty good, but something was kind of funky to me and I couldn’t figure it out. Then I realized it was her top. It was too big and bunchy looking. So I cut the sides and folded them down and hot glued them in place. Better. I showed her to my youngest daughter and she loved it! She named her the “Flying Fairy Dancer”. Hmmm. Faries have wings. My brush suddenly needed wings. I went off to Michaels and bought these pretty white butterflies. I turned it around backwards, hot glued it to the back of the brush and TA DA…wings!! Now she was complete 🙂


The final step was to create a tag, or a calling card to hang from her so people will know where she came from. I just cut a piece of cardstock down to size, used a few different inks, red Pan Pastel, and some $1 stamps. This is my tag:


All dressed and ready to ship:


I can’t wait to see her up on the wall in Donna’s studio!!!

Thanks for stopping by 🙂