Gelli Print Christmas Tree–Christmas Home Decor project using the Frog Dog Studio December kit

Good morning! Today I wanted to share my tutorial on how to make a piece of holiday home decor using products from the December Frog Dog Studio kit.

To begin this project, I prepped the 6 x 6 sticky backed canvas from the kit using Silks, spray ink with a stencil, and alcohol inks.

Since I got my Gelli plate a few months ago, I’ve been addicted to making prints and hoarding them. For this project, I thought it would be fun to use them with a holiday spin. I selected a few prints and cut them into strips to form a Christmas tree. I attached them to the canvas with matte medium.

Since it’s the holidays, I thought I would add some sparkle by covering the Gelli print Christmas tree with Viva Decor Glitter paste. When that was done, I did some shading around the tree with a grey Copic marker and then used some letter stamps and StayZ on ink to add the sentiment.

The next step was to create the larger canvas background. Using a 12 x 12 canvas board (which I really recommend for mixed media, as it’s a harder surface and is easier to work on than a stretched canvas), I laid down a Heidi Swapp sunburst stencil and gently applied the pearlescent Viva Modeling Creme. The effect was really beautiful!

To finish the piece, I peeled off the sticky backed canvas with the Christmas tree and stuck it to the larger canvas in the middle of the sunburst. I also added some fun metallic sequin type embellishments to the tree for ornaments. They really shine!

And the finished product:

How to Create a Christmas Shadow Box-Using the December Frog Dog Studio Mixed Media Kit

Good morning everyone! First off let me say that this month’s Frog Dog Studio kit is awesome and one of my favorites so far. I was so inspired when I opened the box. I knew right away I wanted to make all of my projects in a Christmas theme since this is my favorite time of the year. I also knew I wanted to use as much of the kit on this particular project, since there were so many creative options. This month’s texture tip involves the modeling cream, which is much smoother than modeling paste. I also love the pearly-ness of it 🙂

Let’s get started!

The first thing I did was prep my main pieces, which were the bristle brush tree and the Tim Holtz Configurations box (I removed the smaller boxes that fit inside to use in a later project). I painted the tree with a mixture of the blue and green Silks. I used the gorgeous red on the box–I put on two coats to make it darker.

TEXTURE TIP: Using the modeling cream and the stencil, apply using a flat edge. Gently scrape it on. I was very generous with mine because I wanted a definite raised texture. Another cool thing I discovered is that when I hit the areas that had the modeling creme with the heat gun, it created a sort of crackle finish. I also added texture by brushing the snowflake stamp with some modeling creme and randomly stamped around the box. I also stamped it with black StayZ on ink and the checkerboard stamp.

Next, I selected a piece of the Tim Holtz fabric and cut it down to fit inside of the box. I adhered it using matte medium.

I wanted to give the box a little bit of a distress finish, so I rubbed it all over with Tim Holtz Distress Stain. It really highlighted the areas with the modeling creme and blended it all together nicely.

Now for the fun part–to decorate the tree! I love the little details like this 🙂 To begin, I wrapped the bottom of the tree with the burlap ribbon in the kit and attached using the hot glue gun. Then, I wound the tinsel around the tree and attached the little metal gears with hot glue. I found some poinsettia paper flowers from last year in my stash and attached those as well.

I fussy cut one of the little girls from the clip art in the kit, and also found another die cut girl from my stash to use. I attached them using hot glue.

Since everything is better with glitter (not to mention that I am totally addicted to the Viva Glitter paste from one of the previous kits), I brushed it all over the sides of the box, as well as the tree and the girls.

To finish, I made a little banner out of washi tape and twine and ran it along the top–attaching with hot glue.

And here is the finished project! I hope you enjoy 🙂