The Witching Hour-Mixed Media Art using the Limited Edition Frog Dog Studio Kit

This tutorial, as well as materials used in this project can also be found on the Frog Dog Studio Blog and Frog Dog Studio Shop.

Welcome, friends!! Today I have another spooky project for you using the October Limited Edition Kit. For this project I used the 5 x 7 canvas board, ephemera, Lindy’s sprays and Magicals, and the Dylusions stamps. Let’s get started!

To begin, I laid down a background of the Lindy’s Magicals combined with the spray ink. I also worked in a bit of the Viva Decor Glitter paste because I just can’t get enough of that stuff!

I wanted to create a quirky, funky little Halloween house so I de-constructed the viewfinder and it’s envelope. I cut the envelope into a house shape, and the stamp sheet into a roof. I cut up the viewfinder and tried to use the little negatives as windows, but they wouldn’t stick so I ended up using the frames they were housed in instead. I also cut the club off of the playing card and stuck it on top like a weather vane. Then, I used one of the Dylusions border stamps to create a little eave to attach under the roof. I also attached one of the bingo pieces on the front door.

At this point I thought the bingo piece didn’t really fit in too much so I painted it with the Lindy’s. I also added some rub ons and stamping to the piece, as well as an older Tim Holtz sticker that I had in my stash.

This piece sat for a couple of weeks like it is. I wasn’t totally happy with it, but couldn’t figure out what was wrong. I just knew that it felt “off” somehow. So I gave it some thought. In the meantime I added some white Magicals because I thought I would be adding something else to it and wanted to lighten up the background a little bit.

In the end I ended up removing the Spooky sticker and the bingo piece. I then downloaded some free vintage clip art and added that instead. I found the cute sentiment and added that as well. While browsing around at Hobby Lobby I found the perfect frame (which happened to be 50% off!) and once I made those changes I was a lot happier with the piece overall. I think that this is why I struggle with making videos. I change so many things around and go back and forth and let things sit for so long while I mull them over!

I’d love to hear your thoughts on what you do when you get stuck on a piece that doesn’t feel right. Any suggestions on how you push through a creative block? Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Moms Never Get a Day Off…

But I took one today!! I have been sick all week and today was the first day I felt like a human being again. To celebrate, I took all the kids to school then came home and created for 3 solid hours. I had the house completely to myself, so I cranked up the Pandora, drug out all of my supplies from their various hiding places, and went to work!

The first thing I did was some catching up on my LifeBook pages. I am really far behind, but determined to complete most of the lessons before the end of the year so I can be prepared for LifeBook 2014 (registration just opened up this week!).

Here is my project from Week 30-a lesson from Dina Wakley. This was a quick and easy journal page to put together. I used some old book paper, a gelli print, some stencils, Dylusions ink in white and fuchsia, and Cobalt blue acrylic paint.

DSC_1076

The next page I did was also a quickie. It’s from Week 41 of LifeBook. I was going to use a gelli print from my stash, but since I had the time I figured I’d just make a new one :). I like the way the colors worked together on this simple, but pretty page.

DSC_1077

Well that is all I have to share for now. I hope to get at least three more lessons caught up over the weekend, but we will have to see how that goes 🙂

Have a great weekend, thanks for stopping by!