This tutorial can also be found on the Frog Dog Studio Blog. Most materials used were from the January 2014 Frog Dog Studio Mixed Media Kit and can be purchased here
Good morning everyone! Today I wanted to share with you my take on the fabulously fun Photo Booth wooden album from Genuinely Jane in this month’s Frog Dog Studio Kit. Genuinely Jane was extremely generous in sending several of these wooden albums to use. I love working on a hard surface, it makes it really easy to create good, layered backgrounds without fear of warping or bleeding through. They have a lot of really cute designs to choose from as well. You can see their products here.
To begin, I took the album apart to make it easier to work on each block at a time. On the main block (the front of the album) I began by coloring the entire piece with the Liquitex acrylic ink in the kit. I also did some distressing with the black mixed media ink pad also found in the kit. Then I set it aside to dry.
Moving on to the second piece, I colored that one with the blue acrylic ink from the kit. Then I used a stencil, a palette knife, and the modeling creme from last month’s kit to create a very textured background.
Moving on to the next piece, I covered the entire background with the tissue paper in the kit and some matte medium. Then I added acrylic paint to create the background. When that was dry, I used the telephone wire stamp and the black mixed media ink to create my focal point. I also did some light stamping in the background using the phone directory stamp (which is now one of my favorite stamps for adding texture and interest to a background!)
For the final block of the album, I used some of the goodies from the ephemera pack in the kit to create the background. I also used two of the new Tim Holtz layering tag stencils (found in the Frog Dog Studio store) and some acrylic paint to add layers and interest. At this point this is how all of my blocks looked with the backgrounds done:
I kind of got lost in my process at this point and didn’t take many more pics. What I did was add a strip of the accordion book paper behind the booth “window”, as well as a poker chip, a key, and some more stamping. I also found some clip art to use for two of the pieces and attached those with matte medium.
Here are pics and some close ups of the final product: